Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Watching History Repeat itself



School is starting once again and school children all across the country will be headed back to classrooms to learn. One of their many subjects will no doubt be history. 

I love learning about history, I find it fascinating, but more importantly I know how important it is to learn from the mistakes of the past. 

As students enter their social studies classes, some of them may see a graphic like this, learning about the fall of the once great Roman Empire. 


Will these students make the connections from the fall of Rome to the events happening in our country today? Will they learn about greedy, inept leaders, unfair taxation on the poor, government corruption, and a widening gap between the social classes?  Will they see the parallels. 

This makes me wonder, what did Roman citizens think at the time? Were they able to see the dangers they faced? Did they have anything they could have done to change the course of history?

When I look at the headlines today I can’t help but make a correlation to the late Roman Empire. Will we sit idly by and just watch as our own empire crumbles under the weight of greed, corruption and apathy?

I do hope those students learn well, so they can become the leaders of this country and make positive changes, if our empire lasts long enough for them that is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment