Saturday, August 29, 2015

Mother of the Bride

My daughter is getting married next month and like every Mom I am filled with a mix of emotions.  It’s hard to believe that my little girl is now a grown woman ready to start her own family.  It does feel like only yesterday when I brought her home from the hospital.  As a scared new Mom, I had no idea what I was doing.  I can still feel the warmth of that sweet little body as I lay her on my chest.  How can it be possible that my little baby girl is getting married?

Raising a daughter is an incredibly hard job, especially when that daughter is a very bright and independent young lady.  We have always had a close relationship, but I have to admit the teenage years were a struggle.  Rachael is a bundle of never-ending energy, and she constantly amazes me.  I am really enjoying our new found adult relationship, and I enjoy our fun telephone conversations. 

As the wedding date approaches, we are consumed with all the details; paying for the caterer, paying for the photographer, choosing and paying for the flowers, planning the bridal shower, etc.  Weddings can be stressful (and expensive adding even more stress) so it’s easy to lose sight of what’s important.  In the middle of all the planning and expense, the worries over who has sent their RSVP yet, or which centerpieces will look the best on the tables, its important to take some time and remember what a special event this is in her life. 


I expect there will be some tears as I watch my daughter say “I do” to her groom, but they won’t be tears of sadness.  She is ready to start this wonderful new journey in her life and I am so grateful that I get to be there.  All of the attention will be on Rachael & David, as it should be, but I know that being the Mother-of-the-Bride is also pretty special.  She may be a beautiful bride to everyone else, but to me she will always be my baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment