Monday, June 25, 2018

Empathy


Did you know there is a gene for empathy? I was surprised to learn that, but when I received a genetic report about my own DNA I learned about the Empathy gene, “rs53576 is a silent G to A change in the oxytocin receptor (OXTR) gene. Studies have demonstrated that individuals with the G allele are more empathetic, feel less lonely, and employ more sensitive parenting techniques”.


Lately I have been wondering what happened to empathy in our country. Any visit to social media will show numerous examples of mean-spirited or heartless comments designed to inflict pain on others.  I am always surprised when people can be so mean, cruel and heartless.  I guess I have always been a bit naïve, but I try to believe in the good side of people, so I am surprised and disappointed when I find someone who has the capacity for intentionally hurting others. 


This past week has been especially hard for me. It has been awful watching the news and seeing all the images of children in anguish as they are taken away from their parents. I must have a bunch of that empathy gene because I have found myself crying on more than one occasion as I read about or watched videos of these immigrant families and how they have been treated. 


The definition for empathy sounds pretty straightforward, the ability to understand and share the feelings of another. We are all human; we should be able to understand and share the feelings of another, so why does it seem so hard lately? 


I am so saddened to see that people I know and care about have displayed an astounding lack of empathy at the events unfolding in our country.  I know that politics can create hard feelings but there are some things that simply transcend politics.  


Human kindness and decency should never be a partisan issue and we should all strive for more empathy. Maybe someday soon scientists will develop a way to increase our rs53576 gene because lately it feels like we could all use more of that empathy gene.  

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Judith, it does feel like kindness and empathy are in short supply lately. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

      Delete