Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Sad


 

I woke up today with a profound sense of sadness. While the national election is still ‘too close to call’ with the likelihood of a Biden victory, I am so deeply disappointed.  I had hoped for a resounding rejection of the bigotry, lying and corruption that has been the hallmark of the last four years.  Now the final votes will be counted, the lawsuits are already filed, and the balance of this election very well may be decided by an illegitimate court. 

 

I have more optimistic friends who are celebrating the fact that Arizona is a now a ‘blue’ state, and that many of the people I know and like were elected, or re-elected to office, and while I do want to celebrate those victories, my heart is hurting today. 


I am sad that so many of my fellow Americans chose to re-elect someone who, in my opinion is the worst President in the history of this country. They saw his racism and sexism and they didn’t care. They saw him lie about the pandemic, disregarding the scientists, as a quarter of a million Americans died, and they didn’t care. They saw him rip children from the arms of their parents and put them in cages and they didn’t care. Worse yet, some of them applauded him for these actions.

 

This is not like 2016. This is not a situation where many people saw someone who was an outsider and wanted to shake things up, this time they knew exactly who and what he is and what he stands for and they chose to cast their vote to re-elect him. 

 

I have lost faith in my country.  I am no longer proud to say I am an American. We have lost our way.  Regardless of the final outcome, this election has forever changed the way I will view my country and the people who live here. For the first time I don’t feel at home here. I don’t like who we have become. 

 

And for that I am extremely sad. 




2 comments:

  1. What a perfect expression of many of our feelings today. Thank you for putting my feelings to words! This was heartbreaking. ❤😘❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann. I really have never felt this way about our country, I am just trying to keep in mind the many wonderful good people like you who believe we can be better than this. And I know that the numbers would be different if there hadn't been such blatant voter suppression efforts.

      Delete