Saturday, December 30, 2017

Jólabókaflóð



It is not a secret that I love books. This year I learned about an amazing Christmas tradition in Iceland called Jolabokaflod where people give books and chocolate to their loved ones on Christmas Eve and they spend the night reading and eating chocolate.  I can’t image a more perfect holiday tradition for a book lover like me. 



This past fall I was lucky enough to actually visit Iceland.  It was amazing and exactly as wonderful as I hoped it would be.  The country is so beautiful and the people are incredible.  Needless to say I am a big fan of Iceland, so it is even more perfect that this fabulous holiday tradition comes from this amazing country.

This year I decided that my family could also celebrate Jolabokaflod.  I went to my favorite bookstore and chose a special book for everyone in my family.  I took my time and picked out a book that I thought perfectly fit everyone’s unique personality. I even made sure to send a book to my Son-in-law who couldn’t be here for Christmas because he had to work.  I was thrilled to include actual Icelandic chocolate bars for my husband and daughter; I had purchased them during my trip and hidden them away.  I also made sure to get some vegan chocolate for my younger daughter. 


Everyone liked their book choices, and I love the idea of everyone reading and enjoying their new books.  I think Jolabokaflod will become an annual tradition in our home. 

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tradition for Christmas. Glad you enjoyed your trip to Iceland. It's on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca, there are some really great deals to Iceland - Go For It!

      Delete
  2. Books and chocolate? Can life possibly get any better?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love learning about holiday traditions followed by other cultures. This one is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting Iceland is on my bucket list (my son wants to visit it, too!) I've heard of that holiday but thought "oh, someone made this holiday up. There can't be a place where they give chocolate and books as gifts and then spend Christmas Eve reading and eating chocolate." Oh, to know it really exists! (And they sell Icelandic chocolate on Amazon.com, sigh.)

    ReplyDelete