Monday, January 8, 2018

Voting with your dollars


We often talk about politics only in the realm of voting and running for office, but there are so many ways to participate in politics and use your voice to make our world a better place. One of the best ways to make your voice heard is to be a better consumer – vote with your dollars.  Choose which businesses match your values before making your purchases.

Spend money with companies that represent your values. It’s a bonus if those companies also have great products.  One great example is Penzeys SpicesPenzeys are amazing products that I love to use in my kitchen, but what makes them even more special is knowing that my consumer dollars are going to a company that represents my values. Penzeys provided free pins to everyone who participated in the Women’s March last year.  They actively take a stand against the negative policies of the current administration.   I love to stock up on my Penzeys spices and my children often tease me about my obsession.

Another company that I love to support is my local independent bookstore Changing Hands.  This company not only supports local Indie authors but they have actively taken a stand against the racist policies of the president.  It is easy to just order a book on Amazon, but I try to make an effort to go and shop at Changing Hands where I can to show my appreciation in a tangible way.  If I say that I believe in supporting small business the best way is to actually give them some of my consumer dollars.

Voting with my dollars also means choosing businesses that I will not shop at.  As a woman I am frustrated and disappointed at the decision of the Hobby Lobby owners to deny coverage of contraceptives for their female employees. Their rationale is based on their religious belief, yet the vast majority of their products are made in China, a country that provides state sponsored abortions.  There are many other places where I can get craft supplies and home decorations. Choosing not to shop at Hobby Lobby is another way of voting with my consumer dollars.
For me this is a way to live out my values in a real and tangible way.  I don’t want to support the owner of Jimmy John’s and his love of big game trophy hunting so I choose to buy sandwiches elsewhere.  I love how the CEO of Costco believes that his employees should earn a livable wage with benefits, so I will choose to go there instead of Sam’s Club.  I love that Target has a formal policy supporting nursing mothers so I make the choice to go to Target when I need something. 


I admit it does take extra effort and I am not always successful in choosing only companies that reflect my values, but I do try.  As consumers we have a lot more power than most people realize, so the next time you are running out to the store or stopping to grab a bite to eat, think about the choices you are making and ask yourself what you are voting for with your dollars.    

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS. I shopped at Hobby Lobby when I lived in Des Moines. Then the contraception thing happened (thanks for liking my blog) and that was the end. Your blog is VERY important and more need to respond. We do VOTE with our dollars. Great blog. Will tweet and post on FB. Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - I really do believe people have much more power than they realize, but they need to make smart choices

      Delete
  2. AMEN! I won't shop, or patronize certain stores and establishments. Don't support gays, won't get my dollars. Too red in your politics, nope not buying from you. Putting small businesses out of business, I shop small. Our consumer shopping dollars are powerful. In my own company we are made in the USA and we use environmentally friendly fabrics in our garments. It is a reflection of my own values. Yes it puts the price up and if customers don't see what they are actually paying for but only buy the cheapest, I can't compete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I completely agree - our consumer dollars are so important and we all need to support great businesses like yours

      Delete