Yes folks, it’s time for another exciting round of blog tag J Amazing Author Celia Kennedy has asked me to join a blog tour and my responses are below. Make sure you take time to check out Celia’s work, Charlotte's Restrained (2012) and Venus Rising in (2013). Look for Kathleen's Undressed, a companion novel to Charlottes Restrained, to be published in 2014. You’ll find Celia on http://celiakennedy.weebly.com
Meet My Main Character:
Here are the questions:
1) What is the name of your character? Is he/she fictional or a historic person? My current WIP is an historical fiction YA novel and the main character is a 14 year old girl named Anna. She is a fictional character based on the events of the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918.
2) When and where is the story set? The story takes place in Boston & Vermont during the chaotic time period of 1918, with WWI and the Spanish Flu creating havoc on our nation, Boston was the epicenter of the flu epidemic in America and it was a major kicking off point for sending soldiers over to Europe. It was a time of great fear and mistrust.
3) What should we know about him/her? Anna is a strong and resilient character, she is forced to deal with unimaginable loss and yet she remains optimistic and hopeful for the future. Anna is a survivor in every sense of the word.
4) What is the main conflict? What messes up his/her life? Anna is one of the very early victims of the strange new flu that begins to sweep across Boston, and she is sent up to Vermont to stay with her Aunt. Having recovered from the earlier and not as lethal strain of the flu, Anna is left on her own as her Mother and father both succumb & perish from the horrible outbreak. Anna and her Aunt soon find themselves facing the flu virus in Vermont as well. Anna also meets a German boy who is hiding due to the vehement anti-German sentiment that has swept across the country. Together they help to care for Anna’s Aunt, who gets sick with the flu as well.
6) Is there a working title for this novel, and can we read more about it? I am still struggling with a title & haven’t come up with anything that really seems to fit. If anyone has ideas I would love to hear them (Please feel free to post your title ideas in the comments below)
7) When can we expect the book to be published? My goal is to have this ready and published before the end of this year – most likely sometime in the fall.
The author I have tagged is: Natalie Martin, make sure to check out her book Together Apart and check out her blog tour answers at http://nataliekmartin.com/