Thursday, October 16, 2014

Halloween Memories

I love holidays, and Halloween is one of my favorites.  Each October I look forward to roasting pumpkin seeds, watching ‘Hocus Pocus” and handing out candy for Halloween.  As the temperatures dip I get excited to begin celebrating.   As I climb up into the attic and drag out my big orange and black boxes I can’t help but smile.  It brings back so many fun memories.  There is something so exciting about putting up decorations and getting into a holiday mood.  It is different now that my kids are grown, but I still love to hang a few items around the house.  Pumpkins and ghosts grace every room and of course there is a big black cauldron filled with candy and some creepy looking plastic spider rings to give away to the few kids who actually come and ring my door bell each year.  Most of the children from our neighborhood have grown up, including my own, so Halloweens are much quieter than they used to be. 

I did go through and clean out my decorations a few years ago.  It was time to retire some of the items, but I still miss them.  I can still picture “Witchypoo” hanging on the door.  She was a nearly full size witch on a broomstick who graced out front door each October, but after years of use she began to fall apart.  My kids loved having her there.  Each time they entered or left the house they were reminded of the upcoming candy binge and they nearly drooled with anticipation. 

There were costumes saved from almost 2o year’s worth of dressing up.  Clowns and witches, cats and mermaids, the box was so full of memories that it was hard to close.  We decided to give the costumes away, to let other children create their own special holiday memories with them.  After all I do have pictures of so many Halloweens, with friends and holiday parties. 


The saguaro cactus in my front yard is too tall now, but years ago we would put a spooky white sheet over the cactus for our cool looking ghost in the yard.  There were spider webs and fake spiders everywhere.  I still remember the black light by the front door to add a cool effect.  The more decorations we put up, the more excited our girls were about the holiday.  Their excitement made our holidays so incredible. 
My daughters are all grown, but they still talk about the fun memories we had, and when they are ready to have kids of their own – I know they will create amazing Halloween memories for their children too. 

4 comments:

  1. Love the pictures. My kids are currently five and two so it has made Halloween fun again. Somewhere between my own childhood and theirs I kind of lost interest in the holiday, but I've really enjoyed it the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela - I loved when my kids were that age & everything had a more magical quality, especially holidays. Enjoy every minute - it goes by so fast.

      Delete
  2. I agree Laurie, with our kids grown it changes things. But my hubby's birthday is actually the 31st so we love the day even more. We drug down our orange and black boxes two weeks ago and put things around the house. It just makes you smile to walk passed them. We made a pact that each year we will add one outside decoration to our collection :) We do the same for Christmas. Holidays are amazing with kids and we are learning they are still amazing without little ones but perhaps in a different way. Love ya friend, keep up the great writings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna - I love your idea of adding one new thing each year, I guess I will always be a kid at heart, because holiday decorations always make me smile

      Delete