Friday, October 3, 2014

If it was easy, everybody would do it

Writing a novel is hard, it really is.  Even if you have excellent ideas, the words often struggle to form in your head - or on the page.  Getting from concept to finished product is a huge task.  

I am trying, I have the ideas, I have plot lines, characters and relevant historical facts written on note cards and notebook pages all around my office, but then when I sit down to get the writing done - I get stuck.  I read what I have just written and it sounds so stilted, so stiff and unnatural and most of all it sounds BORING.  I know my ideas are not boring - so I have to keep pushing myself to bring my ideas to life in a fresh and exciting way.  
                                                      

When I get too frustrated, I do some reading - looking at other historical work really helps me.  I can see what I like and what I don’t like about the other authors’ work.  I have been on a bit of a reading kick lately - to help get me motivated to write.  I think it is helping me to refine my style and the message I want to convey in my writing.  


So now I have the ideas, and I have prepared by doing research and reading other historical work - what I really need right now is the motivation and discipline to get it done.  That’s where NaNoWriMo comes in.  November is National Novel Writing Month! To celebrate I am planning to challenge myself to write 50,000 words in the 30 days of November.  I have signed up online and publicly announced my intention ( to help with accountability - if I posted that I am doing this I have to be true to my word, because people will ask me about it).  I know this is going to be incredibly hard.  I know this is going to take a tremendous amount of discipline.  I also know that this is the right thing to do.  Pushing myself to reach for such a big goal is the only way that I will get moving on this novel and get it finished so I can share it with the world.  

50,000 words!!!!!! Yikes - wish me luck everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment