Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Art of Procrastination

As an author I have developed a finely tuned skill for procrastination and avoidance.  Whenever I sit at my computer to work on my novel I miraculously remember that:
·     The laundry needs to be folded
·     The floors look like they could use a good cleaning
·     I have to get those bills paid
·     I’m hungry
·     I’m thirsty
·     I haven’t called my Dad in a few days
…well you get the idea. 

I know I am not alone in this, I have read numerous blog posts and Facebook posts from other authors who seem to do exactly the same thing. 

I seem to do better at writing when I feel pressure to get it done, I was able to write more than 50,000 words in one month during the national Novel Writing month challenge (NaNo for short) which occurs in November each year.  My success at NaNo shows that I CAN get the writing done, it is just a matter or making myself sit down and stick to it. 


I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that I have two partially completed novels and the outline for a third, but my procrastination has kept me from finishing these projects.  My personal goal is to finish both of my partially completed books by the end of the summer.  I know I can do it – so with that in mind, it time to get busy writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment