Monday, August 21, 2017

Dear Internet

Do you ever get mad while using social media?  Here is my letter to the internet. 

Dear Internet -  please stop telling me that I am doing something wrong. I am so sick of stupid articles being posted about how I do everything wrong from opening my banana at the top instead of the bottom or not folding in my tabs in on my tinfoil box. I don't need your judgment Internet.  I don't need you trying to shame people and make them feel bad. How about trying a nice article that says something like "hey did you know if you did this it would be easier" or "have you tried this"… Let's cut it out with the stupid 'you're doing it wrong' articles. 

Dear Internet  - please stop telling me what millennial's are killing today.  Millennial's aren't killing anything, they are exercising their freedom of choice. If millennial's don't want to eat at Applebee's or use bar soap they don't have to.  They are not killing anything.  As far as I can tell we still live in a democracy with a free enterprise system, which means people can buy what they want. And another thing stop saying millennials to refer to an entire generation of unique individuals.   Just giving an age group a fancy name doesn't mean everyone in that age group acts the same; I don't think that every other 53-year-old acts or thinks exactly the way I do, so I refuse to categorize millennial's for no good reason. 

Dear Internet -  let's try to stop over sharing personal parts of our life. I really don't need to know the latest details of your surgery.  I believe that's between you and your doctor.  I'm not saying if you want to ask for prayers, because that's a great thing to do with your friends,  but we don't need all of the gory details.  We don't need to know how much phlegm is in your throat.  We don't need to know your dirty personal relationship details. When I taught middle school I frequently reminded my students that just because they have a thought that doesn't mean they need to immediately share it. Sometimes they could just ponder that thought. I wish Facebook could remind people of the same thing. I know it's ironic because I write a blog and share my feelings, but there is definitely something called over sharing so let's be mindful of what we're sharing on the Internet. 

Dear Internet  - can we please stop being so mean to each other. It would be lovely if we could remember the golden rule; do onto others as you would have them do unto you. Or we could use the timely classic that our mothers taught us; if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. We as a people really have to come together and stop the ugliness that's on social media today. Even if you disagree with someone, you can do so in a kinder and more respectful way. And truly like our mothers told us, if you can't be kind -  just don't say anything at all.  It's OK to ignore people. Like Tina Fey tried to tell us,  sometimes it's better to just be quiet, stay home and eat cake. 

Dear Internet -  thank you so much for cute little kitten videos and babies playing with puppies videos.  Thank you for bringing brightness into our sometimes not so very bright world.  I know I have complained about some of the things I don't like, but there are so many incredible things that are shared on social media, so thanks for helping us to communicate more than every before.  

No comments:

Post a Comment