Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Book Review: A Lucky Child by Thomas Buergenthal

A Lucky Child: A Memoir Of Surviving Auschwitz As A Young BoyA Lucky Child: A Memoir Of Surviving Auschwitz As A Young Boy by Thomas Buergenthal
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I picked up this book because I have always been interested in first person accounts of the Holocaust. Written as a personal memoire, this book tells the story of Tommie - a young Jewish boy who survives several Nazi concentration camps included the infamous Auschwitz. It is a compelling story, but Mr. Buergenthal did not write this book until much later in life, so there are some gaps in the story and some of the recollections are limited, but overall I was not only amazed at Tommy's almost miraculous survival, but I especially enjoyed the end of the book where Mr. Buergenthal shares his outlook on the experience and his ability to move beyond hatred toward those responsible.
View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment