Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Book Review: The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown

The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin OlympicsThe Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Even though I thought I knew a lot about history, I had never heard about the University of Washington Rowing team and their amazing accomplishments. Like everyone I knew about Jessie Owens at the 1936 Olympics, but I didn't know that he was only one of the major upsets by Americans. This book was interesting and well researched. More than just a book about rowing, or a history book, this story captured the struggles of depression era american families and the resilience of the american spirit. There were so many interesting history tidbits throughout the book. I highly recommend this book for everyone who loves reading about history and for anyone who loves a true underdog sports story - The Boys in the Boat was heartwarming and inspiring

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment