Saturday, December 6, 2014

Are Christmas Cards a dying art?




Sitting down at my kitchen table with Christmas music playing, I drag out my address book, find the Christmas stamps, pick out a fun red pen and then pick up the stack of cute Christmas cards that I ordered (from Walgreens).  

Yup I am one of those people, I love Christmas, I love everything about Christmas, but one of the things I love the most is the chance to connect with so many friends and family through Christmas Cards.  Its such a great chance to intentionally seek out loved ones and let them know I am thinking about them.  

I don't rush through, I think about each person as I sign their name and address on the envelope.  Some years I include a sappy and sentimental family Christmas letter, but this year I let the choice of card speak for me, choosing  a photo card with some fun pictures from our amazing wedding in Antigua.   


I love receiving cards from friends and family with their letters and photos, sharing all of the things that have been important in their lives.  I have noticed that in the past few years I have received fewer and fewer cards, as more people let go of this old fashioned holiday tradition.  With Facebook Greetings, e-mail cards, text messages and so many other electronic options, good old fashioned snail mail Christmas Cards might be a relic of the past, but they are a holiday tradition that I look forward to every year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment