Saturday, January 18, 2014

Choosing to live healthy

I am extremely sad this week, I found out that a friend I went to Junior High and High school with just had a major stroke.  This feels so frustrating and scary, this news came right after I heard of another stroke from one of John's former co-workers.  Realizing that I am going to be 50 years old this year - I feel like I have taken my health for granted, but this week with my awful case of bronchitis and the news of Jerry's stroke, have caused me to reflect on how fragile life is.  I know perhaps better than anyone how your entire life can change in an instant, I am so happy right now with my life with Peter, but I worry about Peter's health.  I don't want to be in Michelle's position, feeling frustrated and useless as the man I love struggles.  Its a tough conversation, but I think Peter and I really need to make a commitment to being healthier - loosing weight and getting some regular exercise. 
 
On the bright side - being so sick with bronchitis I have lost almost 10 pounds.  I am concerned that once I start to feel better it will come right back on so I need to make sure that I am making good choices in my eating.
And I need to make sure that I am getting regular exercise (once I stop coughing)
 
 
I think that peter and I can do this and more importantly I think we need to do this for each other.  Whether we like it or not, we are both getting older and we have to start getting serious about taking care of ourselves.
So with that in my - my goal is to loose at least 25 pounds before the wedding, but my long term goal is the lose 50 pounds and get back to the healthy lifestyle that I had a few years ago, jogging, hiking and working out on a regular basis.  I know it will be hard, but I also know I can do it.  It is easy to come up with excuses "its too hot" "its too cold"  but this needs to be a priority.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment