Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Feeling ready for some changes


It has been forever since I posted, and I realize if I ever want to get serious about writing something - that I have to ummmm write something.  Duh! 

So anyhow, quick update, I am feeling ready to completely ditch this whole teaching gig - I kept saying, "things will get better soon", "things will get better next year", "things will get better with a new principal" - but it turns out -  things aren't getting any better, they are actually much, much worse.  I don't like the person I am becoming when I teach.  I deserve better than that and sadly my kiddos deserve better, but I think all the good teachers will be leaving the field in the next few years.  One quick internet search and you can find countless article of teachers who are tired, frustrated and fed up with our education system.  Having gone 7 years without any significant pay raise, with cuts to career ladder and increasing cost for health insurance, I wind up making less than I did several years ago.  The media loves to blame teachers for all of the problems of the country, but what we are asking teachers to do is becoming impossible.
I have decided that I will not be returning to the classroom.  I want to explore what else is out there.  I have been toying with the idea of writing and I think its worth taking a chance.  I hope Peter and I can afford to live on just his salary, but he is getting a raise this year and I am really hoping we can do it.  I know it is a tough job market, but hopefully I can find something or even better - I can actually start making some money writing.  My goal is to finish my uterus book and release it as an ebook, and then get busy with some of the historical fiction that I have wanted to do. 
 
The other amazing news is our upcoming wedding - its only 158 days until our incredible wedding in Antigua.  I am so excited.  Peter is amazing, we have so much fun together and I am sure Antigua will be so incredible, especially with Peter.  I have a dress, we have the rings, we have paid the deposit, and as it gets closer I find myself getting even more excited. For all the wedding details check out our website http://www.mywedding.com/peterloveslaurie/index.html
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment