Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Essential Oils


So I was complaining about my crazy spring time allergies & my former sister-in-law was excited to share with me the idea of using essential oils to help.  She sent me a doTerra introductory kit (http://www.mydoterra.com/shirleyjake/essentialDefinition.html)
which included the oils of Lavender, Lemon & Peppermint.   


As I tried them out, I decided to do some research about essential oils.  According to the doTerra literature, essential oils are natural aromatic compounds found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers and other parts of plants.  Essential oils are a natural way to improve your health, cure ailments, and soothe your body and mind. Essential oils have been used for thousands of years in medicinal and cosmetic purposes.  One of the first widespread uses of these essential oils was the perfume industry.  The aromatic quality of essential oils can enhance your mood and senses.  With the ever growing movement into holistic medicine, essential oils are now becoming more popular for medicinal purposes.  These oils can be used three ways; topically, internally or aromatically (inhaling the aromas), depending on the reason for use and the specific oil involved. 

I have been using the oils for just a few weeks, and experimenting with my favorite way to use the oils.  I have always been very sensitive to smells, so the incredible aromas of the oils is wonderful. 

According to doTerra here are some of the suggested uses for the oils:

Lavender – apply to your pillow to help sleeping (it smells wonderful), use to calm a reaction to bee sting or bug bit (luckily I haven’t had to try this yet), Use with bath salts for a relaxing spa bathing experience J, apply to sunburned or scalded skin (remind me to pack this for my trip to Antigua), Apply to dry chapped lips (it really helps – the air here is so dry & chapped lips are a big problem for me), use with the peppermint for healthy scalp massage – I haven’t tried this yet, but it sounds awesome, add a drop to your hand lotion for a stress relieving hand massage. 

Lemon – Add a drop to a water bottle or to the water served at a restaurant, add a drop to honey to soothe a cough or sore throat, apply directly to cold sores (again, glad I haven’t needed to try this use yet), use to remove gum or sticky adhesive labels, add to olive oil for a non-toxic furniture polish, and diffuse in a room to neutralize odors. 

Peppermint – rub on feet to sooth & cool them, use with lemon in water for a healthy, refreshing mouth rinse, use topically to open sinuses and airways, apply with lavender to tired sore muscles, add to shampoo for an invigorating hair & scalp massage, use a drop in water for a cool refreshing pick me up.


So far I am enjoying trying out the many uses of the oils & yes, they are helping to lessen my allergies a bit, plus I just LOVE the incredible aromas.  I always think it’s a good idea to try something new – so if you are at all interested, you should try out the oils too, and let me know what works best for you. We can learn from each other.

There are literally dozens of books about essential oils, here is a link to one below.

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh MY GOSH Laurie Ward! What an honor! I'm so glad you like them, we need to chat if they are only helping "a bit" though! Every body is different and we can find the answer. I use them for their wellness properties throughout most every day and have been so thrilled to help so many friends and family with a product I believe in that we can trust and know there are no side "effects" only side benefits. If any of your followers would like any information please let them know to contact me directly or any doTerra Wellness Advocate they know. It's made a huge difference in both my family's physical health and emotional as well (that's a whole OTHER blog). Love and health to you my sister in law. Shirley

    ReplyDelete