Friday, January 9, 2015

#JeSuisCharlie

Watching the news as horrific events unfolded, I debated whether or not I would write something about the terrorist attacks that happened in France this week, and for me writing is a way to process my feelings so I decided to share my thoughts…

I am sad, I am mad and I confused. 

I saw several Facebook posts about the events in France, and I was shocked and saddened to see people comment that France was responsible for what happened; “France let in every religious extremist into their country” as if somehow the French people and the French government caused these terrible events.  These two brothers who were involved in the attacks were born in France.  It wasn’t about letting in some ‘radicals’. 

Blaming France for what happened is akin to blaming a rape victim for what they wore, it doesn’t even matter that the satirical magazine that was attacked drew pictures of the prophet Mohammed, they didn’t cause these fanatical lunatics to choose to hurt innocent people.  This magazine also posted offensive (satirical) cartoons about Christianity, Judaism, various political leaders, etc. but no matter what they said or wrote, they did not ‘provoke violence’ as some misguided Catholic leaders stated like Catholic League President Bill Donohue.  Choosing to kill someone because you don’t like what they have to say is sick and wrong and the only ones responsible for this terrible violence are these sick and twisted terrorists. 

This is the price of a free society; freedom of speech applies to all viewpoints, whether I consider them good or evil.  I don’t have to like what someone says, but whether I am offended or not, I will always honor someone’s right to express their beliefs and no matter how offensive I consider something, I won’t kill someone for expressing their views.


These terrorists are the ones to blame!  Not France, Not Charlie Hebdo magazine, not the innocent individuals who were shopping in a Kosher supermarket, not the brave French Police Officers who gave their lives trying to stop the attacks, not all Muslims, we need to ensure that the only ones blamed for this attack are the sick and twisted terrorists. 

No comments:

Post a Comment