Monday, February 3, 2014

Gay – remember when it meant happy? (in 80 countries being gay is punishable by death)

I was having an interesting conversation with my daughter tonight.  We were watching that cute new show "Celebrity game Night" hosted by Jane Lynch.  Jane was chatting with one of the celebrity guests and made a very open comment about being gay.  I like Jane Lynch, she makes me laugh & I could care less if she is straight or gay - I really don't care who she chooses to love.  Watching that show brought back memories of the Ellen show, not the highly successful talk show that she has now, but the adorable sit com that she did years ago.  It was such a big controversy when her character on that show 'came out'.  I thought it was ridiculous to make such a big deal out of it back then and I still think its no big deal today.  I realize not everyone agrees with me.  Many conservative Christians argue that it is against God's plan for us to be gay - but God also said we shouldn't judge, that we should leave that up to him ( "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone", or "Judge not, lest ye be judged"). 

I am fearful about the upcoming Sochi Olympics.  The major of Sochi was actually quoted saying homosexuality does not exist among the residents in Sochi and it is not accepted in the city.  First of all, I won't even acknowledge how silly his comment is about not having any homosexuals in his city, but the comment that its not accepted in his city frightens me.  What kind of reception will Gay athletes get?  I find it so sad that people are actually jailed or killed for who they love.  How can we accept this kind of intolerance?  I wrote a blog post last week about the Anniversary of the release of Holocaust prisoners from Auschwitz and it is so sad that intolerance and bigotry is still part of our lives today.  As Martin Luther King Jr. said "We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools”  

No comments:

Post a Comment